Sunday 10 January 2016

Of birds and memories

Lying in bed on a lazy Sunday morning, I was startled by a familiar yet forgotten sound. Sparrows were chirping outside and the sound was so gaily that it prompted me to leave my warm bed and go out in the balcony even though it was just -1 degree centigrade. I stood outside in the cold watching the birds fly around the now leafless trees and memories from my childhood came flooding. I thought of my childhood home in Lucknow where the many old trees had provided a safe haven for the many species of birds and small animals. I thought about my weekends spent just watching the birds and squirrels play. The sound of people talking, the fragrance of flowers mingled with the aroma coming from the kitchen. It was a truly blissful time. But above all, it was the many species of birds and their fascinating nests that could attract anyone. The population of birds has since come down, mainly because of the cutting down of trees for construction everywhere in the country. The birds that were once common are now s rarity. Moving to Pune, those familiar sights almost disappeared. And now today, across the world, in another country, I came across those familiar sights. It seems like some friend from my childhood has come back to stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment